General Board » eat on the road, or die on the road

• RickC

RickC the twilight zone

"If food be the music of love, play on" Let's talk food. Got anything you especially crave, that you'd like to recommend? Great restaurants? Cool discoveries? Obscure treats? Sounds awful, but tastes wonderful? There's a whole world of good eating out there; let's dig in. Man, I'm getting hungry already... /rick

"If food be the music of love, play on"

Let's talk food. Got anything you especially crave, that you'd like to recommend? Great restaurants? Cool discoveries? Obscure treats? Sounds awful, but tastes wonderful? There's a whole world of good eating out there; let's dig in. Man, I'm getting hungry already...

/rick

• RickC

RickC in the pink

I'm Italian, and growing up my grandmother always made a special treat for Easter; rice pie. Sounds strange perhaps, but oh man once the rice pie grabs you it won't let you go. Flash forward to a few years ago. My dear grandma, god rest her soul, hasn't been with us for over 15 years, and it's about that long since I've had a rice pie. So one Easter, I start looking; I call every Italian bakery in the state till I finally find one who knows what I'm talking about. Turns out rice pie is a regional thing; Neapolitan (aka, Naples). Not that easy to find a good Neapolitan bakery, evidently. So I got my rice pie. It was okay. Not nearly as thick, or as tasty as the pleasure of my youth. But here's the good news; rice pie recipes are *everywhere* on the internet. My sweetie, Colleen, did a little research and came up with a honey of a version; every bit as good as my grandmothers. Heck, maybe better! So what's in a rice pie? Rice of course, lots of it. Also heavy cream, eggs, ricotta cheese, a little lemon, and for me, a little anisette. All sitting in a nice, flakey crust. For me, a good rice pie is thick, maybe 3 inches, firm, sweet but not too sweet, and just a hint of lemon and licorice. Think of the best cheesecake you ever had, times 1000. Plus 1. Darn, now I'm hungry again :D /rick

I'm Italian, and growing up my grandmother always made a special treat for Easter; rice pie. Sounds strange perhaps, but oh man once the rice pie grabs you it won't let you go.

Flash forward to a few years ago. My dear grandma, god rest her soul, hasn't been with us for over 15 years, and it's about that long since I've had a rice pie. So one Easter, I start looking; I call every Italian bakery in the state till I finally find one who knows what I'm talking about. Turns out rice pie is a regional thing; Neapolitan (aka, Naples). Not that easy to find a good Neapolitan bakery, evidently.

So I got my rice pie. It was okay. Not nearly as thick, or as tasty as the pleasure of my youth. But here's the good news; rice pie recipes are *everywhere* on the internet. My sweetie, Colleen, did a little research and came up with a honey of a version; every bit as good as my grandmothers. Heck, maybe better!

So what's in a rice pie? Rice of course, lots of it. Also heavy cream, eggs, ricotta cheese, a little lemon, and for me, a little anisette. All sitting in a nice, flakey crust. For me, a good rice pie is thick, maybe 3 inches, firm, sweet but not too sweet, and just a hint of lemon and licorice. Think of the best cheesecake you ever had, times 1000. Plus 1.

Darn, now I'm hungry again biggrin

/rick

• Pink

Pink

Rick, I knew that Colleen was a good woman. What did she think of the rice pie?

Rick, I knew that Colleen was a good woman. What did she think of the rice pie?

• RickC

RickC out on the tiles

she made one for Christmas; awesome! /rick

she made one for Christmas; awesome!

/rick

Add your message - It will be added as the newest post