General Board » Atlanta Pop Festival

• RickC

RickC in the heat of the night

Is anyone else diggin the hell out of the Allman's Alanta Pop Festival 2-CD set? This has become my go-to recording when I need a good Allman's fix lately. Recorded almost a year before the venerable Fillmore sets, the band is younger, sounds a little rawer, a little less polished, a little more on the brink of losing control. Lots of great, fresh energy here. Don't get me wrong, I love Fillmore, but after more than 30 years I know those grooves by heart. Atlanta is still surprising me. Oh yeah, special mention to brother Berry's tear-it-up vocal on "Hoochie Coochie Man"; doesn't he remind you of Johnny Winter, just a bit? /rick

Is anyone else diggin the hell out of the Allman's Alanta Pop Festival 2-CD set? This has become my go-to recording when I need a good Allman's fix lately.

Recorded almost a year before the venerable Fillmore sets, the band is younger, sounds a little rawer, a little less polished, a little more on the brink of losing control. Lots of great, fresh energy here. Don't get me wrong, I love Fillmore, but after more than 30 years I know those grooves by heart. Atlanta is still surprising me.

Oh yeah, special mention to brother Berry's tear-it-up vocal on "Hoochie Coochie Man"; doesn't he remind you of Johnny Winter, just a bit?

/rick

• JB

JB MA

A good friend turned me on to this set... "I can't hear nothin..".... "All Men... All Men... The Allman Brothers Band." You gotta pick this up. The band is so youg and full of verve.. this was their home turf and a good chunk of the world came to experience a unique form of southern hospitality. The open PA announcement is priceless. Peace & Love, jb

A good friend turned me on to this set... "I can't hear nothin..".... "All Men... All Men... The Allman Brothers Band." You gotta pick this up. The band is so youg and full of verve.. this was their home turf and a good chunk of the world came to experience a unique form of southern hospitality. The open PA announcement is priceless.

Peace & Love,

jb

Add your message - It will be added as the newest post