General Board » Oteil!

• RickC

RickC cloud 9

Oh man! Caught Oteil and the Peacemakers in Cambridge MA last evening, and it was a mind blower. We all know Oteil is a great bass player, through his work with the Aquarium Rescue Unit and the Allmans. But the Peacemakers takes it to a whole nother level. How to describe it? Jam/rock/gospel/blues/jazz as a start, but they're only words; nothing really captures it like the experience itself. Regattabar is a small club, and the place was maybe half full; a shame on one hand, but also a treat to see such great performance in such an intimate atmosphere. Oteil is all over the bass; plucking, snapping, harmonics, chords, in an effortless flow that dazzles your brain and kicks your booty. The one thing you really haven't heard him do in the Allmans, etc is get funky, and the Peacemakers is all about the funk. And one surprise; Oteil is a great singer! Yeah, he does the scat-unison thing along with the bass, but he also did just regular vocals on some tunes. He sounds kinda of like a jammy Stevie Wonder! So yeah, there's a lot of jazz in this stuff, and that word scares some people away; it shouldn't. The tunes groove and flow, the band kicks, you can't keep your toes still. And just as a little side benefit, you get to see one of the best bass players on the planet today. I am a believer! Scuse me now, I gotta go practice... /rick

Oh man! Caught Oteil and the Peacemakers in Cambridge MA last evening, and it was a mind blower. We all know Oteil is a great bass player, through his work with the Aquarium Rescue Unit and the Allmans. But the Peacemakers takes it to a whole nother level. How to describe it? Jam/rock/gospel/blues/jazz as a start, but they're only words; nothing really captures it like the experience itself.

Regattabar is a small club, and the place was maybe half full; a shame on one hand, but also a treat to see such great performance in such an intimate atmosphere. Oteil is all over the bass; plucking, snapping, harmonics, chords, in an effortless flow that dazzles your brain and kicks your booty. The one thing you really haven't heard him do in the Allmans, etc is get funky, and the Peacemakers is all about the funk. And one surprise; Oteil is a great singer! Yeah, he does the scat-unison thing along with the bass, but he also did just regular vocals on some tunes. He sounds kinda of like a jammy Stevie Wonder!

So yeah, there's a lot of jazz in this stuff, and that word scares some people away; it shouldn't. The tunes groove and flow, the band kicks, you can't keep your toes still. And just as a little side benefit, you get to see one of the best bass players on the planet today. I am a believer!

Scuse me now, I gotta go practice...

/rick

• alec

alec in the bathroom with a hot girl

man I wish I could've been there, I've seen those guys and they are nothing short of awesome.....

man I wish I could've been there, I've seen those guys and they are nothing short of awesome.....

• RickC

RickC south of Idlewild

forgot to mention, Oteil was TEARIN IT UP! at the Tweeter during the Allman's set. I've seen him many many times with the Bros and that is the strongest I've seen him play yet. He's carved his own niche into the great long Allman history tree. btw, I'm no big fan of bass solos (and I think the rest of the world is in general agreement with me here ;)) but Oteil's solo at the Tweeter was everything a GREAT bass solo SHOULD be - virtuoso, melodic, musical, and most importantly of all BRIEF :) /rick

forgot to mention, Oteil was TEARIN IT UP! at the Tweeter during the Allman's set. I've seen him many many times with the Bros and that is the strongest I've seen him play yet. He's carved his own niche into the great long Allman history tree.

btw, I'm no big fan of bass solos (and I think the rest of the world is in general agreement with me here wink) but Oteil's solo at the Tweeter was everything a GREAT bass solo SHOULD be - virtuoso, melodic, musical, and most importantly of all BRIEF smile

/rick

Add your message - It will be added as the newest post