General Board » Your Brain On Music

• JB

JB GA On My Mind

Hey All, If you've always wondered why we humans dig music so much you just might find some answers in this book: This Is Your Brain On Music: The Science of a Human Obsession. I'm reading it now - it's pretty cool. You can pick up a copy on Amazon. The mind is a terrible thing to waste. So put on some good music. Ironically, of all things, I had to type the word "listen" in the little box before I could post this message. Cosmic ain't it. Peace. JB

Hey All,

If you've always wondered why we humans dig music so much you just might find some answers in this book: This Is Your Brain On Music: The Science of a Human Obsession.

I'm reading it now - it's pretty cool. You can pick up a copy on Amazon.

The mind is a terrible thing to waste. So put on some good music.
    Ironically, of all things, I had to type the word "listen" in the little box before I could post this message.

Cosmic ain't it.

Peace.

JB

• RickC

RickC not fading away

here's something interesting I pulled from a review of this book on Amazon: "Just one of the many interesting observations the author makes concerns the role of talent in success. He describes a study done in which young people are rated by experts as to their talent in a given field. A longitudinal study is done and an analysis of who ended up successful shows that there is a factor much more powerful than native talent. The author points out that the most important factor in success is 10,000 hours of work in that field. This corresponds deeply to my own experience." he goes on: "When young people ask me what they can do to learn to play the piano, I tell them to play five million notes. I don't care which ones. After the first million they will get bored of playing with their fists, knees, nose, or whatever and by the third million they will be taking it seriously." fascinating, Jim... /rick

here's something interesting I pulled from a review of this book on Amazon:

"Just one of the many interesting observations the author makes concerns the role of talent in success. He describes a study done in which young people are rated by experts as to their talent in a given field. A longitudinal study is done and an analysis of who ended up successful shows that there is a factor much more powerful than native talent. The author points out that the most important factor in success is 10,000 hours of work in that field. This corresponds deeply to my own experience."

he goes on:

"When young people ask me what they can do to learn to play the piano, I tell them to play five million notes. I don't care which ones. After the first million they will get bored of playing with their fists, knees, nose, or whatever and by the third million they will be taking it seriously."

fascinating, Jim...

/rick

• Sista Sue

Sista Sue

Very interesting indeed! Gonna have to check that one out! :)

Very interesting indeed! Gonna have to check that one out! smile

Add your message - It will be added as the newest post