General Board » Playing Dead

• RickC

RickC on a northbound train

We love these guys. I remember the first time I saw Playing Dead. It was the Attic in Newton MA, a cool, upstairs, woody loft of a club with a high stage and great sound (sadly defunct for live music now, or so I've been told; if true it's a great loss). When I arrived, the club was already packed and the band was full tilt into a jam. The atmosphere was electric. I squeezed and slithered my way to the front of the stage and spotted JB, already there and grinning a big Cheshire grin. The band was magnificent, weaving dense cloths of improv around a slackish melody line, and a groove so big and funky I think even the tables were dancing. It kept up like that, song after song, wave after wave, no way to keep yourself from moving to the flow. Thank God they eventually took a break! I was in awe; these guys were the real deal. Real music, grooves the size of Godzilla, and it just didn't let up. Second set, same thing. They called JB up onstage to guest sing "One Way Out" at the end of the night; they rocked that one too! The whole place kicked into interstellar overdrive. (btw, there's an mp3 of that shining moment floating out there somewhere in cyberspace). Look, it's not about being a "cover band" or a "tribute". It's not about playing dress-up or pretend or fooling anybody. And it's certainly not about doing it "just like the record". The songs of the Grateful Dead long ago passed into the public canon; they're part of the culture, part of our history, part of the air we breathe, part of our souls. What this band does so well, maybe better than any other I've heard, is to put air and earth and fire and water into those hallowed husks. Put some meat on those bones, pump blood into those veins, and get em up dancing a jig around the room. The band creates a musical universe that sweeps you up and carrys you, a giant tidal wave, irresistable, and like why would you even want to resist??? It feels so damn good! If music can transport you, and it can, then these guys drive the bus. So, you can spend a month's rent on tickets and fees for lawn seats and watch video screens while slurping your ten dollar beer and munching on a twelve dollar sandwich; hey nothing wrong with that, I do it myself once in awhile. But the real bah-gin (as we say up heah in Bah-stin) is happening in the clubs and trenches of the city and suburbs, with bands like this. Especially with bands like this. www.playingdead.net We love these guys /rick

We love these guys.

I remember the first time I saw Playing Dead. It was the Attic in Newton MA, a cool, upstairs, woody loft of a club with a high stage and great sound (sadly defunct for live music now, or so I've been told; if true it's a great loss). When I arrived, the club was already packed and the band was full tilt into a jam. The atmosphere was electric. I squeezed and slithered my way to the front of the stage and spotted JB, already there and grinning a big Cheshire grin. The band was magnificent, weaving dense cloths of improv around a slackish melody line, and a groove so big and funky I think even the tables were dancing. It kept up like that, song after song, wave after wave, no way to keep yourself from moving to the flow. Thank God they eventually took a break!

I was in awe; these guys were the real deal. Real music, grooves the size of Godzilla, and it just didn't let up. Second set, same thing. They called JB up onstage to guest sing "One Way Out" at the end of the night; they rocked that one too! The whole place kicked into interstellar overdrive. (btw, there's an mp3 of that shining moment floating out there somewhere in cyberspace).

Look, it's not about being a "cover band" or a "tribute". It's not about playing dress-up or pretend or fooling anybody. And it's certainly not about doing it "just like the record". The songs of the Grateful Dead long ago passed into the public canon; they're part of the culture, part of our history, part of the air we breathe, part of our souls. What this band does so well, maybe better than any other I've heard, is to put air and earth and fire and water into those hallowed husks. Put some meat on those bones, pump blood into those veins, and get em up dancing a jig around the room. The band creates a musical universe that sweeps you up and carrys you, a giant tidal wave, irresistable, and like why would you even want to resist??? It feels so damn good! If music can transport you, and it can, then these guys drive the bus.

So, you can spend a month's rent on tickets and fees for lawn seats and watch video screens while slurping your ten dollar beer and munching on a twelve dollar sandwich; hey nothing wrong with that, I do it myself once in awhile. But the real bah-gin (as we say up heah in Bah-stin) is happening in the clubs and trenches of the city and suburbs, with bands like this. Especially with bands like this.

www.playingdead.net

We love these guys

/rick

• JB

JB GA on my mind

Go see PD... unless the peach is playing... :) Kidding. Variety is the spice of life right. I LOVE PD

Go see PD... unless the peach is playing... smile
    Kidding. Variety is the spice of life right.

I LOVE PD

• JB

JB GA on my mind

Friends... After our recent performance at Killington's Sunshine Daydream Festival we had the pleasure of watching our pals Playin' Dead rip the roof off the place. Too many stand out tunes to mention - but I can't get their rendition of Maggies' Farm out of my head. Special thanks to Vic for letting me play some harp on Walkin' Blues. PLEASE mark your calendars for 2 AMAZING Peacheater - Playin Dead upcoming double bills: 5.26 - The Rusty Nail: Stowe, VT 7.28 - Special Watkin's Glen Anniversary Show - Plymouth Memorial Hall: Plymouth MA. You can bet you'll hear some of your favorites from The Band to mark the occasion. Peace & Love JB

Friends...
    After our recent performance at Killington's Sunshine Daydream Festival we had the pleasure of watching our pals Playin' Dead rip the roof off the place. Too many stand out tunes to mention - but I can't get their rendition of Maggies' Farm out of my head.

Special thanks to Vic for letting me play some harp on Walkin' Blues.
    PLEASE mark your calendars for 2 AMAZING Peacheater - Playin Dead upcoming double bills:

5.26 - The Rusty Nail: Stowe, VT

7.28 - Special Watkin's Glen Anniversary Show - Plymouth Memorial Hall: Plymouth MA.
    You can bet you'll hear some of your favorites from The Band to mark the occasion.

Peace & Love

JB

• JB*

JB* GA on my mind

Tonight 12.14 - Come check out a very jammy double header. The Peacheaters & our buds Playin' Dead. (playindead.net) Copperfield's Boston 98 Brookline Ave. Boston, MA 02215 (617) 247-8605 The peach kicks things off at 9. We've got a little something special planned for the opener. So DO NOT be late. Peace & Love. JB

Tonight 12.14 - Come check out a very jammy double header.
    The Peacheaters & our buds Playin' Dead. (playindead.net)

Copperfield's Boston
    98 Brookline Ave.
    Boston, MA 02215
    (617) 247-8605

The peach kicks things off at 9.
    We've got a little something special planned for the opener.
    So DO NOT be late.

Peace & Love.

JB

• RickC

RickC up on the roof

that was a very jammy night indeed! Mucho thanks to our good bros in Playin Dead for having us along. A very cool night /rick

that was a very jammy night indeed! Mucho thanks to our good bros in Playin Dead for having us along. A very cool night

/rick

Add your message - It will be added as the newest post